Monday, February 13, 2012

Home Sweet Home

This is a modern reconstruction of a Crannog at Loch Tay in Scotland.
Image from Wikipedia.


I was glued to Neil Oliver's A History of Celtic Britain last night - first for the segments on art, decoration and jewellery, and then for the amazing Crannog structures in Scotland. I had never heard of them before but they were - to my layperson's understanding! - essentially long houses built on raised stump foundations above water. They look beautiful. When Neil Oliver and another academic talking head were gathered around the fire and the cooking pot in a Crannog, I wanted to climb right into the TV set!

Image from http://structuralarchaeology.blogspot.com.au/ (which looks like a really interesting site - I've just discovered it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment