Thursday, September 27, 2012

Snippets

After reading Rob Young's Electric Eden: Unearthing Britain's Visionary Music, I've been listening to lots of 60s and 70s folk lately but I keep returning to my favourites (even though they're not British) - Joni Mitchell and Judy Collins. The version of "Both Sides Now" below is a later and quite different version to the original but it's so beautiful, don't you think? Maybe you remember it from that heartbreaking scene in Love Actually when Emma Thompson's character discovers her husband has been unfaithful...



This one is more classic 70s Joni. Love it!



On a completely unrelated topic, does anyone remember the Dorrie books by Patricia Coombs? I read them avidly when I was little and I hadn't thought of them for years until recently. Such beautiful illustrations!



Images of Dorrie from http://www.vintagechildrensbooksmykidloves.com/2011/06/guest-post-dorrie-books.html

And now for something that would have scared both Dorrie and (little) me to death - True Blood. We've been watching it almost every night. I've read three of the Charlaine Harris Sookie Stackhouse books and I've recently discovered that our local library has the True Blood DVDs on their catalogue. Only problem with that is that we have a very limited time to watch a lot of episodes! Have you watched it? Have you read the books? It takes a bit of getting used to sex-and-gore wise but it is entertaining! Hmmm, that sentence came out kind of wrong...

No comments:

Post a Comment